This house started as a simple 1.5 story cottage that had fallen into disrepair.
Client Needs and Project Challenges:
- Create a modern loft feel from this traditional neighborhood home.
- Expand the foot print of the house on the difficult wedge-shaped lot
- Protect existing large trees from removal
- Color, Flair and express use of materials
- Spaces able to accommodate large parties as well as intimate groups
- Open floor plan
- Used traditional materials inspired by Minnesota farms and added bold color to create an eclectic yet unified exterior
- “Warm Modern” interior mixes natural wood, paint and “industrial-look” materials
- Vaulted first floor living room with skylight colonnade takes advantage of full light while maintaining privacy
- First floor master suite – easy & elegant age-in-place feature
- New tuck-under garage makes daily coming and going easier
- High efficiency insulation
- In-floor heat throughout the home