With their children entering junior high, this family knew they had to either fix their current house, or move.
The family was very connected to their traditional neighborhood and school friends, and they loved the easy access their home’s location gave them. So, they made the decision to stay put...
Read on to learn about how the house was transformed into one that met the needs of their family and lifestyle, and how salvaged siding and reclaimed wood helped create the look of their new kitchen, mudroom, and work space!
This kitchen project was featured on Houzz.com. Read the article here.
While the second floor of the Cape Cod style home had been previously expanded, the first floor just wouldn’t serve a family with growing kids.
There was also no where to entertain, and the semi-attached garage made coming and going difficult — they had to walk around the house to enter. This process had gotten very tiresome after 10 years…
To get the kitchen addition just right, the design team worked through the challenges of this space along with the homeowners. The dread of the upcoming appraisal, and how that could scuttle the entire project, kept the owners up at night worrying.
The remodeling plan had to have just the right mix of new space, expanded features, and efficient design to bring a high enough appraisal without costing more than they could afford.
The first lender failed.
Then the second lender failed.
We helped the owner’s re-work some details and find a different lender that specialized in remodeling financing. We then prepared additional paperwork and documentation so that the appraiser would understand the value of homes in the area.
The result: Success!
The Challenges of the Project:
- To allow for a completely seamless expansion of the kitchen, a steel “C” beam was hidden in the low pitch roof of the addition. A very tight tolerance to fit.
- At excavation, significant soil problems were found that required soil testing and changes to the footings.
- Tight footprint with the garage in back limited available space for an addition.
- Multiple rounds of appraisals to secure the financing needed to construct the project.
- Easy access to the back yard
- Finishes with a classic look befitting their Cape Cod home, and still impress the in-laws (It worked!)
- Homework and organization center to keep the computer easy to monitor while being used by teens – without sacrificing style
- Open entertaining space
- Simple, clean, transitional design
- Reclaimed lap sheathing was re-purposed and given a specialty paint treatment for the island, command center and mudroom
- Assisted the owner’s “heroic shopping” for just the right final fixtures and finishes. There was lots of encouragement passed on to not underestimate their instincts!
Return To Kitchen Portfolio
READY TO GET STARTED?
A better design-build experience awaits. If you’re ready to re-imagine your home,
contact us today to discover the benefits of an organized, reliable system with
a truly personalized design approach.
- Customized Design |
- Complete Communication |
- PERSONALIZED APPROACH |
- Exceptional Results